Installing New Windows in Edmonton: Double Hung Vs Single Hung Windows
In Edmonton, windows are among the most replaced parts of the house. So, you may have to consider fitting new ones at some point. It may be because the ones fitted are old and show signs like rotten frames, water damage or broken locks. It may also be because you are experiencing elevated energy bills or just because you want to upgrade the style of your house.
Regardless, it’s important that you install the right windows. There are several factors that you may have to consider when choosing the windows to install, including simple operation, energy-efficiency, security, style, and ventilation among others. Such factors are well represented in two of the most popular window types in Edmonton: double hung and single hung.
Single Hung Windows
These designs feature a set of two sashes (panels). The upper sash moves in a vertical manner while the bottom sash in fixed. In case you want to open the window, you need to lift the bottom panel. These windows are quite popular in Edmonton because of the following benefits:
- Simple to Operate: The window opens by simply lifting the bottom panel. Even a kid can be able to open or shut it.
- Cost-effective: A single hung window cost about $150 or slightly above. This is quite affordable if compared to most window designs.
- Easy to install: Though it may require expert help, it doesn’t take much time to fit.
- Fairly ventilated: You can open the bottom sash anytime you want to facilitate ventilation.
- Energy-efficient: Because of the immovable panel, the window is more efficient in retaining heat.
- Stable: The window is well secured against harsh weather such as strong draught.
However, in spite of the above benefits, these windows have a few setbacks. The most notable ones are:
- Difficult to clean: Since the upper panel in fixed, it’s not easier to clean.
- Limited styles: There are a few style options to choose from if compared to other windows.
- Not 100% secure: Since they have a single lock, they are not completely secure.
Double Hung Windows
These windows have the same design as single hung windows; only that both sashes open. They are quite popular because of the following reasons:
- Simple to operate: Open and shuts the same way as single hung.
- Easy cleaning: Cleaning is not hard since you can access both panels conveniently.
- Design versatility: Unlike single hung windows, these windows come in wide selection of styles.
- Great ventilation: Since both panels open, ventilation is maximally guaranteed.
- Well-secured: Presence of two locks means that the window is more secured.
- Fairly energy-efficient: Though not as energy-efficient as single-hung windows, they perform fairly well.
As in the case of single hung windows, these windows are not perfect:
- Expensive: A double hung window costs at least $500. This is way expensive than a single hung.
- Expensive to install: You may have to pay extra labor charges because they are hard to fit.
- Not 100% stable: It is not completely stable against harsh weather, especially when improperly locked.
Looking at the two discussed windows, there’s so much that separates them. So, you can always make your decision based on their differences. However, what’s undeniable is the fact that they are energy-efficient, child-safe, and amazing is style.